Thursday, September 3, 2009

Going Another Direction --> Singapore Bound!

So, its about time to do something different - I mean really different.  I've just had an itch for way too long to break free from the normal walk of life.  Not that it isn't good, it is.  I've appreciated all that life in the suburbs has provided.  However, it seems there surely must be more to it.  Life seems to have so much more potential than I've seen.  I'm convinced it can be far beyond expectations, anyone's expectations.  So, today I've finalized my decision to pick up and move across the world to Singapore.  Will it be so different?  Probably.  The culture, the people, the region of the world and, my favorite, the food!  They'll all be different and that's exactly what will make it so interesting and enjoyable.  Damn exciting if you ask me.

I'll make the move this coming January.  I plan on taking two suitcases and my two dogs; Escher & Higgins.  That's it, no more, no less....well, ok, I'll take some cash too.  I've kept an eye on the weather there.  Seems its quite consistent, upper 80's and humid every day all year long.  It is 9 miles north of the equator after all.  Plan on living in a little - seriously little - studio or one bedroom. Furnished places seem to go for about the same rent as I'm paying now - they're just 1/3rd the size :-(  Dogs will need long walks daily.  Food is fairly cheap though and trains make getting around easy.  Ideally I'd like to get a job selling cars; Audi is my top choice but VW, Porsche, BMW, Lexus and even Hyundai would be great too.  I'll still be running the art gallery on the side.  I'll begin searching for new artists in the southeast Asia region as soon as I arrive.  Can't wait to try every new Thai dish I can get my hands on.  Visiting near-by countries will be easy and fairly cheap I hear.  In addition to Singapore there's many to see; Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, China, Cambodia and Thailand.  Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines are within reach too at 5 to 6 hour flights.

I'm casting preconceived notions aside and keeping my expectations wide open.  I'll likely say "yes" much more often whether its some scary sounding side dish or a trip to some far off village to take in rarely-seen sights.  I'll blog these adventures along with photos of tasty and fun morsels (alive or otherwise), sights of both grand and daily life (love photography - "shooting" for a photo like that Indian girl with the radiant green eyes on the cover of NatGeo), and of course new friends and the people I encounter along the way.  I'm sure it will be interesting or at least odd enough for some entertaining stories and a life lived well.  In the end, I have little doubt there will be unforgettable times.

No comments:

Post a Comment